7 Tips for Keeping Your Pet Safe This Valentine's Day

001591784

Nothing’s better on Valentine’s Day than getting flowers, truffles and those little heart-shaped candies with the cute sayings printed on them. But for pets, all that romance can be dangerous.

“Around Valentine’s Day, it’s the dogs and cats, rather than birds or other kinds of pets, that get into trouble from things such as lilies and chocolate,” Dr. Louise Murray, Director of Medicine at the ASPCA’s Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital in New York City,the most common pet-related dangers lurking on Valentine’s Day and how you can avoid them.

1. Lose the lilies. “My biggest concern is flower arrangements because all lily flowers are extremely toxic to cats and will cause fatal kidney failure,” says Dr. Murray. Even a tiny nibble of any part of the lily plant can be deadly to felines. If you have cats in your home, make sure that mixed arrangements of flowers do not contain any type of lilies and, if they do, pluck them out. “Cats can get almost anywhere,” says Dr. Murray. “And as the lilies wilt the petals can fall off and I’ve seen cats get toxicity that way.” If you think your cat has been exposed to any part of the lily plant, bring them immediately to the vet, Dr. Murray advises.
More

7 Tips for Keeping Your Pet Safe This Valentine's Day

001591784

Nothing’s better on Valentine’s Day than getting flowers, truffles and those little heart-shaped candies with the cute sayings printed on them. But for pets, all that romance can be dangerous.

“Around Valentine’s Day, it’s the dogs and cats, rather than birds or other kinds of pets, that get into trouble from things such as lilies and chocolate,” Dr. Louise Murray, Director of Medicine at the ASPCA’s Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital in New York City,the most common pet-related dangers lurking on Valentine’s Day and how you can avoid them.

1. Lose the lilies. “My biggest concern is flower arrangements because all lily flowers are extremely toxic to cats and will cause fatal kidney failure,” says Dr. Murray. Even a tiny nibble of any part of the lily plant can be deadly to felines. If you have cats in your home, make sure that mixed arrangements of flowers do not contain any type of lilies and, if they do, pluck them out. “Cats can get almost anywhere,” says Dr. Murray. “And as the lilies wilt the petals can fall off and I’ve seen cats get toxicity that way.” If you think your cat has been exposed to any part of the lily plant, bring them immediately to the vet, Dr. Murray advises.
More

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.