Sad Story Of Charla Nash


Charla Nash the 55-year-old woman who was mauled by her friend’s chimpanzee in February of 2009, will reveal her face on an episode of Oprah .The enraged chimpanzee, which was eventually shot by authorities, ripped off Nash’s hands, nose, lips, and eyelids during the attack.She is being treated at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. Nash no longer has eyes, cannot currently eat solid food, and in unable to breathe through her nose.She says that her face feels like there are “pieces of tape or gauze” on her face where the attack happened. She also says that she remembers nothing from the attack.

A picture of Charla Nash follows. Warning: it is extremely graphic:


The Full Story


Travis was a male chimpanzee who appeared in American television shows and commercials. Travis suddenly and viciously attacked Charla Nash, a friend of his keeper, causing loss of her eyes, nose, face, and hands. He was fatally shot by police during the incident.As an animal actor, Travis had appeared in several television commercials, including spots for Coca-Cola and Old Navy. He had also appeared on The Maury Povich Show, The Man Show, and appeared in a television pilot that featured Sheryl Crow and Michael Moore.

Travis was toilet trained, able to open doors using keys, could dress himself, watered plants, was able to feed hay to his owner’s horses, ate at a table with the rest of the family, drank wine from a stemmed glass, logged onto the computer to look at pictures, used the Internet, watched television using a remote control, and brushed his teeth using a Water Pik. On television, he enjoyed watching baseball.Travis had also driven a car on several occasions.

in happy days

in happy days

Travis the chimpanzee’s relationship with his owner was closer than those of some married couples.Sandra Herold gave him the finest food, and wine in long-stemmed glasses. They took baths together and cuddled in the bed they shared. Travis brushed the lonely widow’s hair each night and pined for her when she was away.If she left the house alone, Travis would give her a kiss.”If I left with someone Travis would get upset,” Herold said Wednesday.Experts say the unusually human relationship would have been confusing for any animal.Travis was the Herolds’ constant companion, and would often accompany them to work and when they went shopping in town.


On February 16, 2009, Travis attacked Sandra Herold’s friend Charla Nash, age 55, inflicting grave injuries to her face and limbs. Travis had left the house with Herold’s car keys, demanding for a car ride for which sandra denied and Nash came to help get the animal back in the house; upon seeing Nash, Travis immediately attacked her.
Travis was familiar with Nash, who had also worked at the Herolds’ towing company, although Nash had a different hair style at the time of the attack.The ape had been taking medication for Lyme disease.Herold, then 70 years old, attempted to stop Travis by hitting him with a shovel and stabbing him with a butcher knife; however this only made the animal angrier. She then called 9-1-1 and pleaded for help.Emergency medical services waited for police before approaching the house. Travis walked up to the police car when it arrived and tried to open a locked passenger door, instead smashing a side-view mirror. Then he went around to the driver’s-side door and opened it, at which point the police officer shot him several times. Travis retreated to the house, where he was found dead inside his cage.


Injuries to Nash were described as “horrendous” by the emergency crew.Within the following 72 hours, she underwent more than seven hours of surgery on her face and hands by four teams of surgeons; because of the extraordinary nature of Nash’s injuries, the hospital provided counseling to its staff members who initially treated her. Paramedics noted she lost her hands, nose, eyes, lips, mid-face bone structure, and received significant brain tissue injuries.Doctors were able to successfully reattach her jaw, but announced on April 7, 2009 that Nash would be blind for life. Her injuries made her a possible candidate for an experimental face transplant surgery. After initial treatment at Stamford Hospital, Nash was transferred to the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio.Her family started a trust fund to raise money to pay her “unfathomable” medical bills and support her daughter. Nash revealed her damaged face in public for the first time on the Oprah Winfrey Show on November 11, 2009. She was not in physical pain from the attack, and family members said she hoped to leave the Cleveland Clinic soon.Pictures have surfaced on the internet displaying Nash’s face before and after the attack.

As per standard procedure, Travis’s head was taken to the state laboratory for a rabies test and the body was taken to the University of Connecticut for a necropsy.The body tested negative for rabies,but a Connecticut professor found the presence of Xanax in its system. Necropsy results in May 2009 confirmed the chimp was overweight and had been stabbed. The remains were cremated at All Pets Crematory in Stamford on February 25, 2009.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: